The REACH Regulation, entered into force in European countries on 1st June 2007, represented a great innovation in the assessment and management of risks posed by chemicals to the health and the environment. Based on the principle “no data, no market”, it shifted the responsibility to provide data and to demonstrate the safety of chemicals to the Industry. In this new system, manufacturers and importers have to provide information for all substances produced or imported in quantities of 1 ton or more per year, through a registration dossier to be submitted to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).
The first two REACH registration deadlines, 30 November 2010 and 31 May 2013, covering ‘phase-in’ substances (so-called existing substances) manufactured or imported in the EU at tonnages over 100 ton per year brought to a result of registered phase-in substances of around 6.500 out of total number of 25.000 substances which are expected to go through this regulatory process by May 2018.
In 2007 Federchimica, together with other associations, founded the service company Centro Reach Ltd. The mission of Centro Reach is to support chemical companies and users of chemical substances in Italy and in other countries as well as importers of substances from extra-EU countries. More than 100,000 downstream users in numerous sectors are impacted by Reach Regulation and Centro Reach is prepared to help those companies how to apply REACH.
This support is specifically oriented towards SMEs, the most typical company size in the Italian production system. Up to now just a small share of the registrations have been submitted by Italian SMEs but they will be heavily involved in the outstanding 15.000 – 20.000 substances to be registered at the next deadline in May 2018.
Centro Reach provides advisory and consultancy services in several areas, i.e.:
- analysis of product portfolio and assistance for decision - action plans;
- preparation of the technical dossier for registration, late pre-registration, inquiries;
- connection with ECHA and national competent authorities, for the assessment procedures, authorisations or restrictions;
- updating of safety, classification and labelling procedures, safety data sheets.
- SIEF (Substance Information Exchange Forum) and Consortia
- support in sharing of information for chemical substances within the SIEF;
- assistance in preparation and involvement in registration consortia;
- representation of companies in consortia.
- Assistance Safety Data sheets
- Training courses (eventually also at company site)
- R&D and Methods (f.i. QSAR, in-silico)
- Support for Biocides Regulation applications.
CENTRO REACH S.r.l.
Via G. da Procida, 11
Tel. +39 02 87245.901
Fax +39 02 34565.631